Join Our Team: Lead Scientist, BiopolymersJanuary 13, 2021
Lead Scientist, Biopolymers
Come join the C-Combinator team to sustain a livable planet through seaweed products. We are looking for a research scientist who can help us create biomaterials, including plastics, films and absorbers, from seaweed-derived inputs to improve agriculture, nurture human health and improve the lives of local communities. Research will involve exploring ways to develop new materials from our sustainable seaweed extracts and helping the team develop commercial manufacturing processes to make a difference at scale.
We are looking for curious experimenters who want to work with a diverse, highly collaborative, creative, and supportive team. A good understanding of a related scientific discipline (biochemistry, chemical engineering, materials science) and data analysis and visualization skills is important. We are all willing to experiment, learn, and help each other as we develop new ways of processing seaweed into high value products.
C-Combinator is an exciting, early-stage Public Benefit Corporation working to sustain a livable planet by healing the world’s oceans, restoring the health of ecosystems, and bringing down the levels of CO2 in the atmosphere.
- Create innovative solutions to improve the performance of seaweed biopolymer ingredients in the company products
- Create and characterize macromolecular interactions with a specific emphasis on the chemistry of seaweed hydrocolloids (alginate, cellulose, fucoidan, etc).
- Develop experimental designs and perform experiments at the bench-top scale and help design pilot work
- Manage focused projects, working independently and collaboratively with the innovation team
- Preserve all forms of intellectual and material property generated from the above activities, including writing patents, writing protocols for novel processes
- Advise company officers in areas of scientific and process development expertise
- Gather insight into industry trends and opportunities for the development of new ingredient technologies aligned with the business strategy
- Adapt to evolving scientific and business priorities
- Ph.D. or MS degree in Polymer Chemistry, Biochemistry, Physical Chemistry, or a related field with a strong background in hydrocolloids or polysaccharides
- Minimum 2 years’ experience in academic or industrial hydrocolloids/ polysaccharides research.
- Understanding of materials chemistry, analytical testing, formulation, and processes used in materials manufacturing preferred
- Mechanical ability, familiarity with scientific equipment and advanced instrumentation
- Ability to combine scientific insight with strong technical skills and business acumen
- Excellent oral and written communication skills. Advanced skills in English, both written and spoken, are needed (note: English as a Foreign Language speakers shouldn’t be deterred to apply because of their perceived accent). Spanish language skills are an added bonus.
- Ability to manage multiple projects and priorities
- While candidates from Puerto Rico or already living in Puerto Rico are encouraged to apply, we welcome all candidates with a willingness to relocate/travel regularly to Puerto Rico.
VALUES AND CULTURE
As a Public Benefit Corporation, we have a mandate to help restore the health of the oceans and the natural world. We welcome candidates with an interest and passion for ocean and climate restoration.
We are a growing company with remote teams all over the world. We appreciate candidates with a flexibility to organize and communicate throughout time zones.
As a scientific organization working with Climate Change, many of the things we are working in are very early stage. We prefer someone that considers themself a passionate learner that's motivated to take on challenges
As a global organization, diversity is important to us. We strongly welcome candidates from underrepresented backgrounds in the field. That said, all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
Carbonwave chosen as Top Innovator for World Economic Forum's Uplink ProgramJune 30, 2022
We are thrilled to share that we're part of the winning cohort of the UpLink - World Economic Forum…
Carbonwave's SVP of Innovation featured in Bio Market InsightsMay 02, 2022
Excerpt: In this booming algae biomass sector, C-Combinator stands out from the competition in…
Say Hello to CarbonwaveFebruary 15, 2022
Hello, We’ve reached an important milestone: C-Combinator is rebranding to Carbonwave. Over the past…
C-Combinator highlighted in Telemundo Puerto RicoOctober 06, 2021
We were pleased to receive Zamira Mendoza, from Telemundo Puerto Rico's evening newscast, in our…