Join Our Team: Lab Assistant (Puerto Rico)August 04, 2021
Photo in cover image by Xavier García from the Centro de Periodismo Investigativo article 'Le encuentran salida económica al sargazo en Puerto Rico"
We're looking for a Lab Assistant
Come join the C-Combinator team to sustain a livable planet through seaweed products. We are looking for a lab assistant who can help us create biomaterials, including plastics, films and absorbers, from seaweed-derived inputs to improve agriculture, nurture human health and improve the lives of local communities. Lab work will involve exploring ways to develop new materials from our sustainable seaweed extracts and helping the team develop commercial manufacturing processes to make a difference at scale.
We are looking for a motivated teammate who wants to join a diverse, highly collaborative, creative, and supportive team. A base understanding of a related scientific discipline (biochemistry, chemical engineering, materials science) is important. We are all willing to experiment, learn, and help each other as we develop new ways of processing seaweed into high value products.
C-Combinator is an exciting, early-stage Public Benefit Corporation working to sustain a livable planet by healing the world’s oceans, restoring the health of ecosystems, and bringing down the levels of CO2 in the atmosphere.
- Evaluate raw ingredients and packaging for quality to ensure no sub-standard raw materials are used in production
- Deliver supplies and laboratory specimens to designated work areas
- Clean and sterilize lab area, equipment, and instruments regularly to avoid contamination of samples
- Conduct equipment tests to confirm cleanliness of equipment
- Conduct calibration of lab and production equipment at appropriate frequency
- Engage in material processing, data collection, and results interpretation from laboratory testing to ensure any issues are identified as quickly as possible and resolved
- Assists in the design of laboratory experiments, techniques, and protocols
- Work within a production schedule
- Work hours: Normal business hours with the flexibility to work late and/or during the weekends when needed.
- Bachelor’s degree in a lab biochemistry, chemical engineering, materials science, biology or related field preferred (Associate’s degree accepted pending practical lab experience)
- Self-motivated and takes initiative
- Punctual and reliable
- Being able to follow instructions, and have a team-first attitude
- Occasionally lift 40 pounds
- Working on foot for extended periods of time
- Occasionally climb ladders
- Work under a fast-paced environment
- Should be interested in scientific experiments within an international research environment
- Should have good language skills in English
VALUES AND CULTURE
As a Public Benefit Corporation, we have a mandate to help restore the health of the oceans and the natural world. We welcome candidates with an interest and passion for ocean and climate restoration. We are a growing company with remote teams all over the world. We appreciate candidates with a flexibility to organize and communicate throughout time zones.
As a scientific organization working with Climate Change, many of the things we are working in are very early stage. We prefer someone that considers themself a passionate learner that's motivated to take on challenges.
As a global organization, diversity is important to us. We strongly welcome candidates from underrepresented backgrounds in the field. That said, all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
Carbonwave's SVP of Innovation featured in Bio Market InsightsMay 02, 2022
Excerpt: In this booming algae biomass sector, C-Combinator stands out from the competition in…
Say Hello to CarbonwaveFebruary 15, 2022
Hello, We’ve reached an important milestone: C-Combinator is rebranding to Carbonwave. Over the past…
C-Combinator highlighted in Telemundo Puerto RicoOctober 06, 2021
We were pleased to receive Zamira Mendoza, from Telemundo Puerto Rico's evening newscast, in our…
C-Combinator and Chapingo University Sign First-Ever Collaboration on Certifying Sargassum-Based Agricultural InputsAugust 31, 2021
C-Combinator is proud to announce an unique collaboration agreement with Chapingo University, Mexico…